As a book lover, every once in a while you will come across a book that will change your life forever. That will smack you in the face and make you look at the world differently. Big Magic is one such book.
I have been a book lover as far as I can remember. My father's love for books made sure that I was always surrounded by them and a well stocked library at the age of 2 didn't hurt. I had my fair share of fairy tales, picture filled encyclopedias, Jataka tales, Tinkle, Champak, etc. Then, at the age of 10 something happened. A classmate of mine, for no rhyme or reason, handed me a book called Mallory Towers. We were not friends, I don't even remember saying hi to her before that. But there I was, going back home with the book in my backpack. Later that day, I made a wonderful discovery; my love for books wasn't restricted to picture books. That I loved the thrill of picking up a book I hadn't read, the smell of old books, my love for libraries (to this day I abhor the Kindle. I don't think it will grow on me. Ever.)
Fast forward to year 2001, summer vacations had just begun and out of sheer boredom I visited my colony clubhouse to check out the bookshelf there. This is when I first laid my eyes on a book called Harry Potter. A couple of days later, I felt the same adrenaline rush that I felt when I was 10.
Year 2016. Big Magic happens. Literally. This is probably one of the most exhilarating books you will read this year. A book that will give you peace and happiness. That will teach you to be content. This is the only 'Self-Help' book that I have ever liked. And that is because, it is genuine, light and thoughtful at the same time. And most of all it is not preachy.
I really don't know how to review this book without giving away too much. All I can say is that, this book has the potential to change how you think about life, about creativity, about success and failure. So, go ahead. Pick it up.

No comments:
Post a Comment