Friday, 6 November 2015

Books, long time no see?

I have been making more rounds of the mall nowadays more than my own room. That's Diwali for you. Million gifts to buy and pack. And that annoying voice in my head saying that it all needs to be very pretty otherwise there is no point in gifting. 'Stop pestering me!!' I say to the voice but to no avail. Sigh.


Anyway, the nice thing about a mall is always the bookstore. Hmm!! Is that why I always conveniently forget a thing or two that i 'need'? *wonders*. I walk into the bookstore and do my routine looking at every book, reading the summary, quietly checking out the price and realising that it's either the book or my weekly stash of embossed paper. The latter wins. Always. Damn you, budget. 

But then I see this thin book and read Twinkle Khanna on it and am instantly intrigued. I have read her column before and have been a fan. I pick up the book because I haven't read an Indian author in a while and really don't have the patience to read sombre, deep books when gift box/bag measurements are running through my head.

So I go home start the book while watching my 10,000th YouTube video on wedding favour/dinner party gift box ideas. (If I was a superhero, my power would be multi-tasking). After 30 pages or so I shut the video, grab a cup of tea and sit in a corner to read the book. Just like old times and that voice says 'hmm! we may have a keeper'. Mrs.Funnybones is hilarious and relatable to most Indian women. Ms.Khanna has quite a knack for bringing out the humour in the mundane. It is unputdownable, not in a crime fiction novel way, but in a much better waiting for the next bout of laughter way. I read this book in a day, btw.

It is witty and will keep you in stitches. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for something light and breezy with some touching moments. Kudos, Twinkle Khanna. :D

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book review, Surya. I think I will pick up this one to read during my next travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's hilarious. Perfect for travelling. :D

      Delete