Sunday, 10 May 2015

Storage Box DIY

I had been looking for a storage solution for my husband’s Xbox games for a while now. Something that is right in front of your eyes (we tend to forget the games we have, sigh) and something compact, as well. When all hunting was in vain, I decided to build one on my own. A few days of YouTube research and here’s what I made.



Materials Required :
  • Four wooden boards (I took a square feet of wood and divided it into four parts. Any local wood store in your area would do this for you)
  • Black acrylic paint (or any colour you like)
  • Washi Tapes (you can skip this if you want and choose to paint all boards with acrylic paint)
  •  A paint brush
  • Varnish
  • A drill and eight nails or screws

Method :
  1. Sand the boards first to prime it for the acrylic paint.
  2. Now paint the boards in the colours you like . I used three washi tapes to create stripes on two boards and painted the other two with black paint.  
  3.  Allow the paint to dry for a day. 
  4.  Once dry, take the help of a friend or a parent when drilling the boards together. DO NOT DO THIS ALONE. You will require help.
  5. Once drilled, take a damp cloth and run it over the box to remove any wood residue.

 And you are done :). Pretty simple right. And it cost me around Rs.300 to do the whole thing. 

You can add an additional board at the back and set it on the floor too as a coffee stand/magazine rack.

2 comments: