Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Plum Jam Breakfast Toast

I have been meaning to make jam at home for quite a while now. However, I couldn’t find pectin sugar at the local stores and that sort of stalled the idea. Then I thought, why not make a jam with normal sugar. Yes, it won’t last for more than 4-5 days, but I could just make a small quantity as and when required. The end result? A delicious tangy sweet plum jam that all in the family enjoyed :).  All you need are a few plums and one cup of sugar. I used six plums. You may use more depending on the quantity you require. But mind you, this jam will only last for 4-5 days. You may use more sugar too as per your taste. I like the jam to be a little tangy. :) 


Make a criss-cross incision at the bottom of each plum and then put them in boiling water for 5-10 minutes to blanch. This will make removing its skin a lot easier and lot less messy. Remove them from the boiling water after you see the skin peeling off. Once it has cooled down, remove the skin and collect the pulp of the plum in a bowl.  Transfer this to a pan and add some water in it. About half a cup. Put this on a stove and keep stirring. You will see  yellow foam on the surface. Remove this foam as much as possible.

Now add the sugar and keep stirring. Once it has reached a syrup type consistency remove from the heat and let it cool. The syrup will harden as it cools and will have a jam-like consistency.

The jam is ready. Spread it on a toast and eat away. Yum. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment